Welcome to June! Summer break, Dairy Month, fresh local strawberries, Flag Day, Steamboat Days, HCO's production of Mary Poppins, summer reading opportunities at St. Stan's Library and the Winona Public Library . Hi, I am Mrs. Nicklay and it is my pleasure to serve as a Reading Resource teacher (gr. 4-6) and librarian (gr. 1-6) at St. Stan's Elementary School. I love kids and I love books, so my jobs are the perfect blend of both. My passion is to help students to get excited about books and reading!
I'm so glad summer is here!!! This is my time to catch up on lots of reading that I just don't get to during the school year. I like to try to get a head start reading the 2015-2016 nominees for the Star of the North Book Award and the Maud Hart Lovelace Book Award. The lists of nominees can be found by clicking on the corresponding button in the blue menu on the left side of the page. I hope you'll join me and get started reading this summer so you can read three or more of the selections and qualify to cast your vote next March!!
I personally invite all students going into grades 1-6 (plus our recent graduates) to visit the library on Tuesday mornings between 9-11 a.m. during the summer through August 4. There are so many great books to explore...many that you've probably never seen before. I can wait to see what you are reading. Don't forget the summer reading program at the Winona Public Library!! Read some exciting books and earn fun rewards.
Take a look at the blue menu at the left to see what else you can discover at this site for readers...
Any book is a new book until you have read it!! Say, have you read a good book lately? Stop in at the library and tell me about it!! I'm always looking for a good book to read and to share with others!!
- Click on "Latest from the Library" to see what is going on this month, including celebrations and special news about books, reading, and activities that promote literacy.
- Click on "Hot Books" to find some really great books to try...award nominees, award winners, new books in our library, etc.
- Click on "What's Up on the Web!" for links to great literacy links for students and parents.
- Click on "Photo Gallery" to view photos from Book Fairs and the library.
- Click on "Guidelines for Library Use" for information on library rules and expectations.
- Click on "AR Quiz List" to access the AR Book Finder which will help you determine whether your book has a quiz and what the book/reading level is.
- Click on "Meet Mrs. Nicklay" to get to know your librarian and reading teacher better!